OFFICIAL RULES OF THE 2015 SITCOM CONTEST.COM NATIONAL WRITING COMPETITION
1. REGISTRATION:Registration and reservation of your script, for The 2015 SITCOM CONTEST.COM NATIONAL WRITING COMPETITION (SCNWC), sponsored by M.E. Productions, begins at 12:00 noon Central Time (“CT”) March 1, 2015. The registration/reservation and final submission period ends at 12:00 noon CT on July 31, 2015. Entries must be received by 12:00 noon CT on July 31, 2015. One (1) or two (2) scripts are allowed to be submitted for each registration, depending on the package chosen. However a single writer or team may individually submit, as many scripts as desired.
2. ACCEPTANCE: Upon acceptance, all entrants must fill out the REGISTRATION FORM and read and agree to these OFFICIAL RULES.
3. SCRIPT REQUIREMENTS: all scripts are required to be for a 22-minute comedy television sitcom Written in English (foreign-language entries are ineligible) Between 25 and 35 (letter-sized) pages long in a proper screen-writing format Wholly original, (e.g. NOT adapted from books, plays or any other source material), Copyrighted or registered with the Writers Guild of America Not encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party Submitted under the entrant’s legal name as indicated on such copyright or WGA registration, and as evidenced by entrant’s valid government-issued identification. Must not be currently under development at a network, studio, or major production company previously optioned, purchased or produced.
4. SUBMISSION OF YOUR SCRIPT Upload your script using the Script(s) Upload on the registration page. Scripts must be submitted in Portable Document Format (PDF) format only. Limit one entry (of one or two scripts) per person or per a team of two co-writers. Each entry must include only one (1) script or two (2) scripts, depending on the package chosen. One (1) or two (2) scripts are allowed to be submitted for each registration, depending on the package purchased. However a single writer or team may individually submit and enter, as many scripts as desired.
5. MULTIPLE ENTRANTS a) Multiple entrants may not submit the same script b) However; there is no maximum number of writers allowed per entry. If there is more than one writer with respect to any script, all writers must agree among themselves upon a single individual who will be the entrant with respect to that script. All writers must be identified in the entry materials. If multiple writers wrote any finalist’s script, the SCNWC may reasonably require all writers to sign, and agree to be bound by, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release and Indemnification, and any other documents that it requires. Payment of the Prize Money will be split equally among all credited writers for the winning script. SCNWC is not responsible for any disputes or disagreements among co-writers with respect to any Contest entry.
6. PARTICIPATION By submitting an entry to the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and acknowledges that the decisions of the SCNWC shall be binding and final in all matters relating to the Contest.
7.ELIGIBILITY The Contest is open to residents of the United States of America, who are age 18 and over and not a minor in his/her state of residence, who are not currently engaged in any contractual commitments or relationships preventing them from entering into an exclusive development deal with SCNWC. The SCNWC reserves the right to verify and confirm entrants’ ages and compliance with other eligibility requirements.
8. JUDGING Preliminary judging will take place from the time the Entry/Submission Period begins through and including June 30, 2015. The judging panel, selected by the SCNWC in its sole discretion, will determine the top finalist in each category (Existing Show & Original Show), and the one (1)Grand Prize Winner from both categories, based on the following criteria, weighted equally: a. Originality b. Humor c. Characters d. Writing Ability e. Story development In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based solely on the criteria of: overall impression. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility.
9. NOTIFICATION OF FINALISTS The selected finalists will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail after September 1, 2015. Finalists will be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility, Release and Indemnification, any other documents that SCNWC may reasonably require. If any potential finalist does not reply to any notification within forty-eight (48) hours, or fails to return any required documentation within five (5) business days of delivery to the potential finalist, such potential finalist may be disqualified in the discretion of SCNWC and an alternate potential finalist may be selected. Potential finalists CANNOT proceed to the next round until all such properly executed and notarized documents are returned. SCNWC shall not be responsible in any way for any delayed, lost, stolen or misdirected notification or other communication from or to SCNWC.
10. WINNER SELECTION/PRIZES From among the submissions in both categories, Our industry judges will select one FIRST PLACE Winner from each category and one Grand Prize Winner from either category The Winners will be announced on or about September 1, 2015, One (1) First Place Winner (whether a single individual or a team) in each category will receive a single, lump-sum payment from SCNWC of $250.00 ( two hundred and fifty dollars). Additionally, the first place winner’s script in each category will be read by the judges as well as at least two prominent members of the Television Development & Production Community. One (1) Grand Prize Winner from either category “Best Overall Submission. will receive a single, lump-sum payment from SCNWC of $500.00 ( five hundred dollars), as well as having their script read by at least two prominent members of the Television Development & Production Community. . No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive prize permitted, except in the discretion of SCNWC, which reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prize consists only of items expressly specified in these Official Rules. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of the prize or any component thereof that are not expressly listed in these Official Rules are the responsibility of the three (3) finalists.
11. GRANTS AND RIGHTS By entering, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that SCNWC shall have the exclusive, irrevocable, and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted script for judging purposes and otherwise solely in connection with the execution of the Contest. Each entrant agrees not to exhibit, disseminate, produce or broadcast, or authorize any third party to exhibit, disseminate, produce or broadcast, in any manner, media, or format, the script submitted as part of his or her entry (or portions thereof), for a period of one (1) month following the conclusion of the Contest, currently on or about September 1, 2015. Some or all of the entrants whose entries are chosen may be required to participate in a reasonable number of customary promotional and publicity activities (including public appearances, press junkets, interviews, and the like) to promote the Contest.
12. ENTRANT REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND INDEMNIFICATION By entering, each entrant represents and warrants to the SCNWC that his/her entry is a. completely the original work of the entrant and was written solely by the entrant. b. not copied from any other source or previously broadcast or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format. c. not in the public domain, d. not in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity. If the SCNWC, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry contains any material that may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, or that the use or broadcast or such entry in the manner described herein may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, then the SCNWC may immediately disqualify such entry and take any other measures the SCNWC may deem appropriate. Entries should not include any language or other content that is indecent, inappropriate, and morally objectionable or otherwise unfit for dissemination or broadcast, as determined by the SCNWC in its discretion. The SCNWC hereby reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any such entries. Entries not meeting stated length requirements will be disqualified. Entries not satisfying these Official Rules in any respect will be disqualified. Each entrant further agrees to sign, and to obtain (at the entrant’s expense) from all necessary third parties, all releases, permissions and other written documents, in a form acceptable to SCNWC, as may be required by the SCNWC and any of its affiliates or sponsors upon request so as to confirm, record and/or perfect their rights in the entry as set forth herein. No entrant’s seminar or entry fee will be refunded.
13. RELEASE OF CLAIMS By submitting an entry in the Contest, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that any Materials that the Designated Entities may hereinafter use or exploit may have originated with the Designated Entities themselves or may have been acquired from the Designated Entities’ employees or other parties, and that such Materials may duplicate, parallel or resemble the script submitted in the Contest by the entrant. By submitting an entry, each entrant acknowledges that he or she understands and agrees that the Designated Entities’ use of Materials containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in their entry shall not entitle the entrant to any compensation whatsoever., aside from the winnings awarded to the three (3) finalists in each category. As an inducement to SCNWC to accept the entrant’s entry into the Contest, each entrant hereby waives any claim or right of action against any of the Designated Entities or their successors in connection with the Designated Entities’ use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements similar or identical to those contained in an entrant’s entry. Finally, each entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by entrant relating to or arising out of a Designated Entities actual or alleged exploitation or use of any entry or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of the entry or any other production based on or allegedly based on the entry, and the entrant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
14. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS By submitting an entry, entrants agree to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless SCNWC, and their parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest, including without limitation (a) claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize and (b) claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement relating to the submission or exploitation of the entrant’s script. By entering the Contest all entrants grant permission to the SCNWC to use their respective names, photographs, likenesses, voices, and/or biographical information for SCNWC programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval unless prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. SCNWC reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and/or to cancel, modify or suspend this Contest should entrant fraud or misconduct or other causes beyond the control of the SCNWC corrupt the administration, integrity, security or proper operation of the Contest. Without limitation of the foregoing, the SCNWC reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any of the following reasons: act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; the recapture of any time period scheduled for the live telecast of a program for an event of national importance or emergency; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available for production or broadcast; or other cause beyond its control. By entering, each entrant agrees that should this Contest be terminated for any reason such entrant irrevocably waives any right to seek and/or obtain rescission and/or equitable and/or injunctive relief. SCNWC is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, undelivered, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of entries, including without limitation any malfunctions or failures of computer hardware, computer software, networks or telephone equipment or any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. SCNWC’s clock will be the official time clock for the Contest. Caution: Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, SCNWC reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the law. SCNWC is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
15. DISPUTES All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Contest, or the rights and obligations of entrants and the Designated Entities in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Minnesota, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of Minnesota or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Minnesota. In the event of a claim or dispute, entrants’ sole remedy shall be limited to their remedy at law for damages, if any, and entrants shall not have the right to in any way enjoin or restrain the distribution, advertising, publicizing or other exploitation (in any form of media) of the Contest Website, the Contest, and/or any intellectual property owned or licensed by the Designated Entities or their respective parent companies and affiliated entities.
17. WINNER/OFFICIAL RULES To obtain a copy of the Winner’s List or a copy of these Official Rules, send your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to 9401 Dallas Lane N, Maple Grove, MN 55369. Requests for the names of the three (3) Winners must be received no later than June 30, 2015.
Copyright © 2015. Sitcom Contest.com